- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced (or other alliums, bell pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 28 oz. can tomatoes (plum or diced)
- 1 cup mozzarella (or whatever you have)
- 6 eggs
- Sauté onions in oil until they get very soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in cumin and paprika (or whatever savory spices you like), a large pinch of salt and a small pinch of cayenne, and let it toast for a few seconds to bring out the flavors.
- Add the canned tomatoes and let them cook down to sauce, 15-20 minutes. Taste and add more salt and cayenne, if you like.
- Scatter the cheese on top of the sauce. Use the back of a spoon to make indents, then crack in the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees until the eggs are done, about 7-9 minutes for runny yolks. Serve with any chopped herbs you’ve got, and lots of hot sauce.