- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 cup leeks, sliced (or shallots, onions, scallions)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch kale (or cabbage, chard, etc.)
- smoked salmon (optional)
- Boil potatoes with skins on.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter with a drizzle of oil, then add the sliced leeks or other alliums and a pinch of salt. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. When the leeks are golden, spoon some out onto a plate to use for garnish.
- To the rest of the leeks in the pan, add the sliced garlic cloves, and cook them for a minute until fragrant.
- Toss in the sliced sturdy greens. Season with more salt and cook, tossing continuously, until the greens are wilted and very tender.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet and mash them, and add butter generously. Taste, and add more salt and lots of pepper.
- Crown with smoked salmon or protein of choice, then scatter on the fried leeks.