- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 shallot or small onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or groun cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the ginger, garlic, shallot (or onion), coriander, cumin, and turmeric and cook, stirring now and then, until the vegetables are softened and the spices are very fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, then fill the empty coconut milk can with water and add it to the saucepan.
- Stir everything together, turn the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer simmer, stirring now and then, until they the lentils are completely soft, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve over hot rice with a sprinkle of cilantro.