Lentils, Monastery Style
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup of whatever veggies you have (like potato or squash and a couple celery stalks)
- 1 teaspoon each thyme and rosemary (or, go ham: marjoram, parpika, oregano, etc.)
- 4 cups dashi or other stock
- 1 cup dry lentils, washed
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- parm, swiss, or cheddar cheese (optional)
- quick pickles* (optional but encouraged!)
- In a large pot, sauté onions in olive oil until transluscent. Add carrots and any other other veggies, sauté for a few minutes more, then add spices and stir.
- Add the stock or seasoned water, lentils, salt to taste, and tomatoes. Cook in covered pot until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- To serve, place 2 tbsp. of grated cheese in each serving bowl and top with soup and quick pickles. This soup is especially delicious served with corn muffins.
* Quick pickles
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste