- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons shiro miso
- 4 japanese eggplants
- 1 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds
- Combine sake, mirin, sugar, and miso in a saucepan. Mix well to combine and then bring to a gentle simmer over the lowest heat. Stir constantly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and score it in a crisscross pattern, then place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush oil on both sides of the eggplant halves.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. Remove from oven and set to broil.
- While the oven is heating, spoon the glaze onto the eggplants and spread evenly. Broil for 3-4 minutes, or until the top has nice char and caramelization.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.