Salmon in Foil
- 2 fillets salmon (or steelhead trout)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2” carrot, julienned
- 2 oz. shimeji mushrooms (or similar)
- 2 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or more 😉)
- 2 tablespoons ponzu soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake (optional)
- Sprinkle kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides of the fillets.
- Prepare two 12” x 12” sheets of aluminum foil. Thinly spread 1/2 tablespoon butter in the center of both sheets.
- Place half of the onion slices on the butter, then place a fillet on the onions, skin side down.
- Place half the mushrooms and carrot strips on top of the salmon.
- Put 1/2 tablespoon each of sake, soy sauce, and butter on top.
- Bring the top and bottom aluminum foil over the salmon to cover and seal. Repeat the process for the second fillet.
- Heat a fying pan to medium. Add 1/4 cup of water and the two sets of foil and cover with a lid. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, then medium-low heat for 10 minutes.